Trendy: for the better or worse?

Okay, no one asked. But I'll tell you anyway. I think trends are inherently weird. They are prevalent everywhere: in fashion, social media, and even in literature. And yet, they drive the world around us. It's wild to see how fast trends (like reading Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth in high school) shape cultures and opinions. I listen to songs today titled "Romeo and Juliet" today and the story is sort of retold in the newest version of West Side Story. I think that these pieces are valuable and important in society, as trends in literature often are. Unfortunately, trends in general are taken too far. 

For example, I have major problems with the spicy chicken craze. 

Buffalo chicken, chipotle chicken, Nashville hot chicken, and so many others appeared on menus over the past few years. While I love the inclusion of popular flavor options on the menu, I just can't stand the overwhelming influx of the word "spicy" on a fast-food menu. 


Arby's Diablo TV Spot, 'Layers of Spice' Song by YOGI - iSpot.tv

I've added this photo for context. And no, that picture doesn't have a filter on it. It's from Arby's. The bun of this sandwich, the Diablo, is red. Actually, physically red. And even eaten separately, there is no taste in the spice. It's just spicy. There is no flavor (I don't know what I was expecting, it's only Arby's) other than sheer spiciness. And not spiciness in a good way. The experience of eating this sandwich was more like drinking an entire kettle of boiling water and then not being able to taste anything for hours afterward. 

It was terrible! And the bar for spicy chicken has been set incredibly low. And it was like, ten bucks! Yeah, my official review is that it's not worth the hype or the price. Don't even think about trying this thing; I think my liver is still recouping. I don't know if it ever will, emotionally.

I love a good trend. But, unlike trends in literature (that have value), this one shouldn't stick around. 
Arby's: Diablo Sandwich: So you need a fire extinguisher. | Milled


Comments

Popular Posts